6 Weeks Before You Move
- Begin search for good health-care professionals in your new location.
- Send your new address to anyone that might need it — insurance agents, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, friends, relatives, etc.
- Clean out closets and dispose of all items that you will not be taking with you.
- Hold a moving/garage sale or donate items to charities.
4 Weeks Before You Move
- Start packing!!
- If UniRelo is doing the packing, arrange for it to be done one or two days before loading begins.
- Begin to use up overstocks of staple foods and perishable foods.
- Gather valuable personal papers that you may need at your destination location, including medical and dental records, school records, birth certificates, etc. This can be packed in UniRelo “essential carton”.
- Make travel plans and arrange any motel or other reservations.
3 Weeks Before You Move
- Arrange to have utilities (gas, electric, phone, cable, water, etc.) disconnected in your present home, and connected at your new home.
- Ready car registration and insurance records for transfer.
- Notify State Motor Vehicle Registry of your new address.
- Arrange for child care on moving day.
- If necessary, reserve apartment elevator for pickup and/or delivery dates.
2 Weeks Before You Move
- Arrange to move pets.
- Check with mover about moving house plants. (Some restrictions will apply)
- Dispose of all items too dangerous to move, including flammable liquids.
- If necessary, have your automobile serviced and ready for the trip.
1 Week Before You Move
- Transfer all bank accounts.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Have enough medication to last at least two weeks. Have prescriptions forwarded to a pharmacy at your new destination.
- Buy traveler’s checks.
- Make arrangements to pay for your move.
- Withdraw items and close safety deposit boxes.
2 Days Before You Move
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- Set aside valuable items to carry with you including jewellery, vital documents, money and valuable small items.
- Be on hand to answer questions and give directions to movers and stay until they are finished.
- Ask mover to load essential carton last into vehicle.
- Complete UniRelo documentation and carefully read the document before you sign it.
- You will need to complete : Work docket/ invoice with payment details
- Acceptance forms
- Insurance forms
- Inventory list needs to be signed
- Customs documentations if provided by UniRelo
- Job performance report / company evaluation
- Make sure you have your copies of the inventory.
- Before the crew leaves, take one final look through the house to make certain nothing has been left behind.
- Turn off the gas at the meter and the electricity at the switchboard.
- Be on hand to answer any questions and give directions.
- Supervise unloading and unpacking.