6 Weeks Before You Move
- Begin search for good health-care professionals in your new location.
- Send your new address to anyone that might need it — insurance agents, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, friends, relatives, etc.
- Clean out closets and dispose of all items that you will not be taking with you.
- Hold a moving/garage sale or donate items to charities.
4 Weeks Before You Move
- Start packing!!
- If Universal Relocations is doing the packing, arrange for it to be done one or two days before loading begins.
- Begin to use up overstocks of staple foods and perishable foods.
- Gather valuable personal papers that you may need at your destination location, including medical and dental records, school records, birth certificates, etc. This can be packed in Universal Relocations “essential carton”.
- Make travel plans and arrange any motel or other reservations.
3 Weeks Before You Move
- Arrange to have utilities (gas, electric, phone, cable, water, etc.) disconnected in your present home, and connected at your new home.
- Ready car registration and insurance records for transfer.
- Notify State Motor Vehicle Registry of your new address.
- Arrange for child care on moving day.
- If necessary, reserve apartment elevator for pickup and/or delivery dates.
2 Weeks Before You Move
- Arrange to move pets.
- Check with mover about moving house plants. (Some restrictions will apply)
- Dispose of all items too dangerous to move, including flammable liquids.
- If necessary, have your automobile serviced and ready for the trip.
1 Week Before You Move
- Transfer all bank accounts.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Have enough medication to last at least two weeks. Have prescriptions forwarded to a pharmacy at your new destination.
- Buy traveler’s checks.
- Make arrangements to pay for your move.
- Withdraw items and close safety deposit boxes.
2 Days Before You Move
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- Set aside valuable items to carry with you including jewellery, vital documents, money and valuable small items.
- Be on hand to answer questions and give directions to movers and stay until they are finished.
- Ask mover to load essential carton last into vehicle.
- Complete Universal Relocations documentation and carefully read the document before you sign it.
- You will need to complete : Work docket/ invoice with payment details
- Acceptance forms
- Insurance forms
- Inventory list needs to be signed
- Customs documentations if provided by Universal Relocations
- Job performance report / company evaluation
- Make sure you have your copies of the inventory.
- Before the crew leaves, take one final look through the house to make certain nothing has been left behind.
- Turn off the gas at the meter and the electricity at the switchboard.
- Be on hand to answer any questions and give directions.
- Supervise unloading and unpacking.